tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 27 14:51:02 1996

RE: Klingon CD-Rom

December 27, 1996 3:23 AM, jatlh peHruS:

> I am jumping in with both feet here to attempt translating World Cup Final
> Match.
>
> pupmoQ (soccer) wo' tevvaD 'ov Qav
>
> Yes, I added a self-made word for soccer in order to show that I would
> specify what form of competition was going to take place for the {wo' tev}.
>  If, as in English and Portuguese, Klingons would understand what form of
> competition was upcoming, I could just as easily leave out {pupmoQ}.  After
> all, in that we don't actually have a word for soccer, {pupmoQ} may arguably
> mean football, kickball, etc.

No.

{'ov} is a verb, not a noun.

{-vaD} is used to indicate the beneficiary of the main verb.  Besides the fact
that there *is* no main verb in this sentence fragment, the "prize" is not the
beneficiary.

Finally, every country in the world except for the United States calls the
sport "football."  The word "soccer" apparently comes from the phrase
"association football" (do *not* try to translate it that way!).
(As)soc(iation) + -er (similar to Klingon {-wI'}).  (The American College
Dictionary, 1966 edition)  UNLESS THE KLINGONS PLAY SOCCER/FOOTBALL, THEY
DON'T HAVE A WORD FOR IT!!!  Even we Earthers can't decide on a name.  So just
pick one, and use it in English!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian