tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 27 14:50:54 1996

RE: Klingon CD-Rom

December 27, 1996 3:41 AM, jatlh peHruS:

> << However, I wouldn't expect to hear many Klingons running around and
saying
>  {qatlho'} very often.  It's not a very Klingon thing to say.

> I challenge a point here. . . .my professors stressed that if a language has
> a word within it,
> not having obviously borrowed the word from another language, the culture
has
> need for the word.

I quite agree.  However, I'm not questioning whether or not one is *allowed*
to use the word, I'm pointing out that the evident cultural traits of Klingon
would prohibit excessive use of the word.  Saying {qatlho'} to every
shopkeeper you buy food from would start to rouse suspicion.  The shop was
there.  You went in and gave him credits.  He gave you food.  You leave.
What's there to be greatful for?  To a Klingon, this is just part of the
necessities of life.

But suppose this same Klingon went into battle.  He's fighting side-by-side
with his closest buddy.  Suddenly, as he slams his {betleH} through the body
of an enemy, it breaks!  He's weaponless!  His friend sees this, grins, and
pulls out a {Daqtagh}.  He gives it to the disarmed Klingon.  One of his
possible reactions would be to say {qatlho'!}  His friend has just done
something which will assist him in achieving victory, in strengthening his
honor, and not the least, making him feel less vulnerable.  This is certainly
a situation in which the word would be most appropriate.

> The Klingon language has a word for
> "thank" while not having words for "please" and "you're welcome" because
> Klingons do show respect and gratitude.

In English, "please" and "you're welcome" also show respect and sometimes
grattitude.  Why then do Klingons not have the words?  Because they do not
function in any useful capacity.  They don't *mean* anything.  Certainly not
to a Klingon.  "Gratitude" or "thanks" *does* mean something to a Klingon, but
only in the appropriate situation.  Honor and victory are what are most
important to a Klingon, and these should be the things he appreciates.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level