tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 20 17:51:46 1996

KLBC: SuStel qaD

I enjoyed writing _HIchDal_ so much (and the company Christmas party
is boring) so here's another story.

I'm using a type-9 verb suffix this time: -vIS. (I used -wI' and -'a'
last time, but they don't count, because they don't add a second clause
to the sentence.)  As your battered TKD will tell you,
-vIS is always used together with -taH. It can be translated
"during" or "while,"  but sometimes the best English
translation uses an adverb, or another construction altogether.

Quch Hab
------------
yotlhDaq Qam cha' SuvwI'.
bejchuq, betleHmeychaj 'uchtaHvIS. (1)
yIQchu' DIrchaj jIbchaj je 'ej pe'vIl tlhuH.
QIDchuqta'.
regh. (2)
qaStaHvIS rep Suvpu'.
DaH Doy'taHvIS bavchuq, 'ebmey loStaHvIS.

jatlh wa'. "SoSlI' vItIch 'e' vIpay."
"quvbej ghaH."
"yavDaq betleHwIj vIlanqang."
"yolvam vIlonqang, jupwI'."

jang latlh. "Qo'! "
"yavDaq betleHwIj vIlanQo'."
"lomlIjDaq vImol pagh molwIjDaq mollu'."
----
Two warriors stand in a field.
They watch each other, holding their bat'telhs.
Their skin and hair are soaked and they breathe heavily.
They have wounded one another.
They are bleeding.
They have been fighting for an hour.
Now they circle each other tiredly, waiting for opportunities.

One says, "I regret I insulted your mother."
"She is truly honourable."
"I am willing to put my batlith on the ground."
"I am willing to abandon this conflict, my friend."

The other answers "No!"
"I won't lay my bat'teth on the ground." (3)
"I will bury it in your corpse or it will be buried in my grave."

(1) 'uch (hold) isn't in TKD.  Look on the KLI webpage or in TKW.
(2) Ditto for regh (bleed).
(3) Flames for my inability to spell batlh'etlh in English should be
sent by private e-mail only.

po'wI'pu': yIchovqu'qa' Qov luDa Hoch chu'wI'pu' boneHbe'chugh!
Heh, I get to have my Klingon evaluated, while pretending I'm just
helping out the beginners. :-)

--Qov

Robyn Stewart                     [email protected]
NLK Technical Library  ph. (604) 689-0344 fax (604) 443-1000
NLK Consultants Inc. 855 Homer Street, Vancouver BC  V6B 5S2

Back to archive top level