tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 14:59:51 1996

RE: KLBC: jIbwIj vIchIpnIS

December 18, 1996 3:18 PM, jatlh ~mark:

> >> jI'Ip: qaStaHvIS tera' Hoghvam, jIbwIj chIplu'ta'.
> >
> >jI'Ip: qaSpu'pa' tera' Hoghvam, jIbwIj chIplu'ta'.
> >
> >'e' vIpIHpu'.

{-pu'} yIteq!  [SuStel ducks]

> cha' mu'tlhegh vIyajchu', 'ej lughbej cha'.  peqel: "I will have cut my
> hair by the end of this week", "I will have cut my hair, at the end of this
> week"... rap qechmey (pemISchoHQo'! :) )

Quite right.  Just because the subordinate clause is continuous, that doesn't
mean the main verb is, too.

qaStaHvIS ram, qama' vIHoH.
I killed the prisoner during the night.

It's a bit different than

qaStaHvIS ram, qama' vIHoHlI'.
I was killing the prisoner all through the night.

I'd say that the first sentence is a little more vague than the second with
respect to how long it took for this action to occur.

My intention:

qaStaHvIS tera' Hoghvam, jIbwIj chIplu'ta'.
During this week, my hair will have been cut.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level