tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 14:59:49 1996

RE: KLBC

December 18, 1996 8:13 AM, jatlh loDDoq:

> SuH SuStel,
> Here's a little story I've wrote.
> It's probobly far from perfect but...

Just please remember to include your English translation of what you meant to
say.  Otherwise I'll have to guess.

> yejquv DewI' gowron.

If this was to be "Gowron is the leader of the High Council," you're not too
far off.  This is a "to be" sentence, as explained in TKD section 6.3.
(You've also misspelled {ghawran} and {DevwI'}.

yejquv DevwI' ghaH ghawran'e'.

> juppu'(ghaj?) gowron...'ej jaghpu'.

"Gowron has friends and enemies"?  Remember, to connect two nouns, you must
use the noun conjunctions, after all of the nouns.

juppu' jaghpu' je ghaj ghawran.

or

juppu' ghaj ghawran 'ej jaghpu' ghaj je.

There's a bit of a question going around, asking if you can "have" a friend in
Klingon.  You don't literally own them, after all.  I'd say don't worry about
it unless you can think of something better, or if Okrand provides us with an
answer.

> Soj *likes* gowron.

Soj parHa' ghawran.

This is rather general, though.  A better word would be {tIv}.

Soj tIv ghawran.

> Sud *likes* gowron.

{SuD}?  Did you mean "gamble"?  Did you mean to say that Gowron likes to take
a chance?

SuD 'e' tIv ghawran.
Gowron enjoys taking a chance.

This is a sentence-as-object sentence, described in TKD section 6.2.5.

> SuvwI' puq *makes* nentay(I've really had difficults in this sentence).

I believe you meant "The Rite of Ascension makes a child into a warrior."
You've just played Star Trek: Klingon, haven't you?

This calls for a subordinate clause (TKD section 6.2.2):

qaStaHvIS nentay, SuvwI' moj puq.
During the Rite of Ascension, a child becomes a warrior.

> qagh Sop poq.

This is a name which has not been "sanctioned" by Okrand, so you should mark
it somehow.  Also, in Klingon phonetics, the name is not pronounced {poq}, but
rather, {paq}.

qagh Sop *paq*.
Pok eats gagh.

> bIQ tlhutlh poq.