tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 03:02:07 1996

HIja'/HISlaH (was Re: KLBC)

At 12:38 16/12/96 -0800, ~mark wrote:
}>From: "Dark Viper (mayq)" <[email protected]>
}>
}>In my belief (not meaning that it is correct), I think <HISlaH> is the more
}>formal way of saying "yes". For example, in English we say "Yeah" (slang),
}>or "Yes". So maybe HIja' isn't slang, but a more colloquial way of saying
}>HISlaH.
}
}hee.  And I remember other people on occasion deciding the same thing in
}the other direction. :)  There's just no knowing, so I guess you just have
}to use them as you feel most comfortable.

HIja' is fairly crisp. HISlaH takes longer to say, and because it is used
more rarely (in canon as well as among us, Voragh?) it gets more attention.
I tend to use HIja' in answering quickly and the HISlaH when I relish the
answer:

DaghuS'a'?  -- HIja'
weplIj 'oH wepvam'e'?  -- HIja'.
DaH puchpa' DaSay'moH'a'  -- HIja'
yuch DaneH'a' -- HISlaH.
qep'a' loSDIchvaD bIleng 'e' DaHech'a'?  -- HISlaH
(Yes I know the noun suffix on loSDIch is not canon, but I LIKE it there.)

I believe I picked this up from HoD Qanqor, who really lets out a hearty
"HIISlaaHHH" when he means it.
---
Qov               [email protected]            tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level