tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 19:19:49 1996

Re: Dr. Okarnd Speaks -- lengthy

At 12:26 15/12/96 -0800, Ken Traft quoted Dr. Okrand:

}So if anyone else has other thoughts on these or any
}future matters, please feel free to participate.  (No reason to wait for me to
}go first either.  And I'd also be interesting in seeing analyses that disagree
}with mine.)

This translates to "I may be wrong."  Judicious butt-covering.  val ghaH.

}The end of the sentence is fine.  The correct way to say
}"Do you think that...?" is ... 'e' DaQub'a'? ('e' is
}"that," referring to something that precedes it in the
}sentence or in the discussion; DaQub'a' is "do you think
}it?").

Lookie lookie: Qub is transitive.

}(2) You suggested translating "What is your favorite
}month?" as:
}
}jarlIj qaq nuq?
}
}This one's a little easier to deal with.  Your sentence
}literally means "What is your preferable month?"  The basic
}syntax is correct.  Question words (in this case, nuq
}"what?") function the same way pronouns do in questions
}with "to be" in the English translations.  Thus, the
}question yIH nuq? "What is a tribble?" is exactly parallel
}the statement yIH 'oH "It is a tribble"

Hmmm.  nuq functions as a pronoun.  I would have demanded the construction
nuq 'oH yIH'e' in unclipped speech.

}Given that there's an awful lot about Klingon grammar that's not yet known...

'e' wISovba' jay'!
---
Qov               [email protected]            tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level