tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 11 05:45:54 1996

RE: KBLC: <-vetlh>

December 10, 1996 9:46 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> 	<ghIjwI'vetlh wIchargh>
> 	those that scare, we conquer

{ghIj}, I believe, means "scare" as in "cause another to be afraid."  In fact,
I know so: see TKW p. 65: {jaghmeylI' DaghIjjaj}.

What you're trying to say is

vay' wIghIjchugh, wIchargh.
We conquer anyone whom we scare.

> 	<ghIjvetlh latlhpu' wIchargh>
> 	those that scare other beings, we conquer

Huh?  {ghIj} is a verb, so cannot take a noun suffix.  I really don't know
what you were trying for here.  In fact, I don't understand why anyone would
say this at all?  We conquer those who frighten others?  {latlh ghIjbogh
vay''e' wIchargh}?

> I can't put my finger on what I think is wrong - it may be that I'm using
> <-vetlh> wrong, or that it can't be used with <-wI'> for "thing that
> does".

Oh, I see.  No, "that" refers to "that thing."  Let me show you:

SopwI'
eater

SopwI'vetlh
that eater

SopwI'vam
this eater

QuchwI'
one who is happy

QuchwI'vetlh
that person who is happy

Get it?  This is a different sort of "that" than {'e'}.  Read the TKD on {'e'}
and on {-vetlh} again, if necessary.

>  Could the first one be rewritten (correctly) as:
>
> 	<ghIjwI' wIchargh>
> 	things that scare, we conquer

Well, if it's to be plural, it would have to be

ghIjwI' DIchargh.
We conquer those who scare (others).

> This seems right to me... maybe the <-vatlh> in the first one is redundant
> (if not plain, outright WRONG).  yIchup.

The {-vetlh} is wrong.  {-vetlh} is the sort of "that" in "I see that ball."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level