tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 10 20:26:04 1996

RE: story, part 4

SuStel and anyone else that would like to comment:

I generally don't feel the need to discuss story content, but in this instance
I would like to.  You objected to Velka telling her father she loved him.  I
understand why you said that.  Do you think that the father's actions are
enough and that words are not needed?  May I suggest the following:

rInDI' vav, tlhup velqa, "qatlho', vavoy."
"SaSaH, puqbe'pu'oy," jang vavchaj, "qaStaHvIS ram pa'Daq peQong."

Still too much?  I could lose the {SaSaH}.  Do the {oy}'s have to go too?

I really made several bad typos, but the worst was {vay'mo'} when I meant
{yay'mo'}.  Of course, then I compounded the error by using {vIH} as
transitive when it is intransitive.  I wanted {yay'mo' velqa, Somraw
vIHmoHlaHbe' etc.}.  I liked that you used {laH}.

I think I've misused {vIH} a few more times in my story, so I'm going to try
to catch the errors before you do.  I'm sure you're going to find some more
transitive/intransitive mistakes.

There's another portion that I would like some help with.  Describing either
hand-to-hand combat or weapons fighting turned into a real challenge for me.
I would have liked to describe an individual blocking a blow (or strike or
whatever word you like for that concept) from either a hand or a weapon.  When
I wound up with the lame "an opportunity presented itself," I was thinking
that the cadet had used his betleH to block too far outside and high and had
left his legs vulnerable.  Therefore, Velka used her betleH like you might use
a leg in karate to sweep him from his feet.  I just don't have to expertise
with the language to come close to that.

I will enjoy hearing your suggestions.  Part 5 will be in the mail soon.

Deborah

Back to archive top level