tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 08 22:31:38 1996

RE: KLBC: latlh vImugh

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Alan Anderson wrote:
>ja' HurghwI':
>
>>chab ngevbogh loD qIH "Simon" nap.
>>"Simple Simon met a pieman."
>
>I'm not comfortable with {nap} for this meaning of "simple" -- I tend
>to think of it as meaning "uncomplicated", not "unlearned" or "lowly".

Except that "simple" is being used here as a euphemism for "retarded,"
not "common" or "plain." Today's euphemism is "learning disabled." The
Simple Simon of the nursery rhyme was a fool, not a peasant or commoner.
(Well, I suppose he could be both.) Recite the rest of it and you'll see.
Some of these old children's rhymes were pretty callous.

>It loses the alliteration as well; a less direct translation would be
>somewhat more in keeping with the flavor of the original.  I also think
>the word {Suy} would be useful here:  {chab Suy qIH "Simon" Soy'}.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'

I do, however, like your version better.

Voragh

Back to archive top level