tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 08 11:48:47 1996

RE: More Translations...

ja' voragh:
>>>     HablI' Su' labbeH Ready to transmit. ST3
>
>Nevertheless, the line exists. I didn't claim to understand Okrand's
>reasoning behind his words (assuming Cathie Shirriff delivered them as
>written) since I hadn't acquired my "psychic VCR" yet.

The "reasoning" is obvious:  The line as written is "Ready to transmit."
The line as spoken by Ms. Shirriff was "Ready to transmit".  Okrand just
had to invent sounds to fit her mouth movements when the people who make
such decisions decided, after the fact, to have her speaking Klingon.

My recently concocted theory on this line is that Okrand altered the line
to be a command to Valkris' computer, but the subtitle didn't get changed.
Maybe the same person who was supposed to fix the subtitle is responsible
for the "I told you -- engine only!"/"I wanted prisoners" mutation... :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level