tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 06 08:09:57 1996

Re: RE: greetings

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 07:46:30 -0800 Michiel Uitdehaag
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Qapla' can be used as greeting too, when adressing honoured warriors.
> >
> >I always thought of it as a send-off. I've never heard it used as a
> >greeting, but I may be wrong.
>
> I was told that Okrand mentioned this at a convention in Halifax last
> year and I have since read more mentions of similar statements by the
> man himself :)
>
> Was it not used recently in ST by a klingon? Apart from the argument that
> he could have been speaking a local dialect in which nuqneH sounds like
> Qapla' (it's a _joke_ :), it would indicate this use of Qapla' too.

Okrand seems to be waffling on this one. One time he says it can
be a greeting as well as a farewell, Meanwhile on the Klingon
CD, he says: "It is used as a sort of salute as warriors go off
to battle. It does not mean the same thing as goodbye."

Doesn't sound a lot like "hello" to me.

> jejQIb
> soon to be Chief of Security USS Matrix NCC-2296 :)

charghwI'

Back to archive top level