tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:56:08 1996

RE: KLBC: Losers

December 03, 1996 5:52 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> > How would you say "loser" in Klingon?
>
> 	Help from a BG would be nice, but since it wasn't labelled KBLC
> (until I put it there),

Interesting technique!

> here's my guess:
>
> 	<Qapbe'wI'>?  "One who does not succeed?"  Or is <Qap> too vague
> for this use?  (One who does not work?)  How about <lujwI'>, for "one who
> fails"?

Either of these would do.

> 	What kind of a loser are you trying for, anyway?  (I'd be rather
> amused if you were attempting to translate Beck's alternative hit.)  :)  I
> think we could come up with something better if you mean "loser" in the
> doesn't-have-a-life sense of the word.

In this case, I'd be inclined to use the word {toDSaH}.  Mind you, it's not a
literal translation.  All we know is that one Klingon would say it to another
if they weren't on the best of terms.  Sounds like that use of "loser" to me!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level