tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:02:09 1996

RE: KLBC: Errors

December 03, 1996 10:03 AM,jatlh QetlhIS:

> > > Duj Delghagh vIneH.
>
> I wanted to say "I want to describe a ship and wasn't sure how to
> express
> an infinitive. Now i see that "i want a ship's description" didn't do
> too
> well ;)

Klingon doesn't have infinitive forms.  In this case, you need to use a
sentence-as-object construction (see TKD section 6.2.5):

Duj vIDel vIneH
I want to describe a ship.

> > > vIQub mu'meyvam vIghajbej tlhIngan Hol.
>
> I wanted to say "i think that tlhIngan Hol certainly possesses those
> words"
> (and i just don't know how to express them ;)

Hmmm . . . you used a Type 6 verb suffix on {ghaj}, but not the one which
makes sense here.

mu'meyvam ghajlaw' tlhIngan Hol.
I think that Klingon possesses these words.

I don't know why people say "I think . . . certainly . . ."  Are you sure, or
aren't you?  Try not to use the word {Qub} for "I think <such and such>."
That's what {-law'} is there for.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian