tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 09:36:45 1996

RE: greetings

> (This has been debated before, though.  If you
> want to question it, take it out of KLBC!)

	OK, done.  Now, let's chat.

> > 	OK, I'll buy that.  In that case, should each of these 'greetings'
> > I hacked together be reworked into commands?
>
> No!  Klingon has only one greeting (this is a fact): {nuqneH}.

	I find this rather hard to believe.  It's like saying
English-speaking humans only greet each other with "Hello"!  I seriously
doubt that a shoemaker would see the High Council walking past and
jauntily shout <nuqneH!>  At the very least, Klingons have honour, and
treat those who have it with more.  This leads me to believe that there
*must* be some honourific greetings *somewhere*.

	Maybe the reason we think there's only one is that Maltz was a bit
bitter about being a Federation prisoner, and used only that one greeting.
That seems much more likely to me...

	Do we have any Klingon anthropoligists out there who could shed
some light on this??

  / _ \                                     \        ** Andrew Netherton **
  \__)|         "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"          \ __    University of Waterloo
      \       I came, I saw my cousin.       |(_ \      Ontario, Canada

Back to archive top level