tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 09:05:56 1996

Re: GET ME OUT OF HERE NOW

Messages like this are usually not appropriate for the list at large.
A response to a plea for help getting off the list out to be sent only
to the person asking for help.  I am nonetheless sending this note to
the list because I think the incorrect information given needs to be
corrected before any more people get frustrated.  Many of the failed
attempts to unsubscribe are due to people not following the required
syntax for communicating with the list server software, and the note
I'm responding to did not give the proper syntax.

Amos Ezer hadani <[email protected]> writes:
>To everyone who wants to unsubscribe:

...and who has ignored both the instructions sent to each new
subscriber to the list and the header that is attached to absolutely
every message sent out by the list server...

>1.write the message to [email protected](I'm not sure the address is
>correct...)

Yes, that is the correct address.  (If you weren't sure, Amos, why did
you risk adding to the confusion?)

>2.leave the subject EMPTY -> write the command in the BODY of the message.
>3.in the body of the message write:
>    unsubscribe "Wright, Philip" (or whatever your name was when u have
>subscribed)

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, wa'SaDlogh ghobe'!!

You must tell the list server which mailing list you're talking about!
It knows who you are from the return address in your email; you don't
have to identify yourself.  But it doesn't know what list you want to
subscribe to or unsubscribe from unless you give it that information!
(If you ask to unsubscribe from "Wright, Philip", it ought to send you
back an error message saying that the requested mailing list is not
under the control of the list server, or something similar.  I've not
made this particular error, so I don't know what the exact wording of
the message is.)

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART.  IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE, READ THE NEXT
FEW LINES.  THEY TELL EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO SEND TO THE LISTSERV
SOFTWARE, AND WHERE YOU NEED TO SEND IT.

You have to send one line of email to the address <[email protected]>:

unsubscribe tlhIngan-Hol

Notice the name of the mailing list there?  It's absolutely necessary.

>4.send it
>5.if you have problams than write to the same address "help" or got to the
>FAQ(www.kli.org)
>                                                      loDDoq

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level