tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 02 15:25:52 1996

RE: Embedded wh-questions

December 02, 1996 1:06 PM, jatlh Holtej:

> Now, what I'm wondering is, how do we say, "who do you think the officer
> hit?"
>
> 	'Iv qIp yaS 'e' DaQub?
>
> This doesn't feel right to me.  It doesn't feel like we're questioning the
> matrix clause here.  It feels more like "Who did the officer hit?  You
> think that."  Other attempts by my mind to twist this into a more
> reasonable form (semantically) fail syntactically.

It's interesting: are you suggesting that we don't like this because of
English bias (that of moving the question word up to the matrix clause)?  I'd
like to hear more . . .

Of course, I'd just say {'Iv qIp yaS?  yIngu'!}

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level