tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 02 13:50:07 1996

Re: KLBC: vImugh

>Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 18:11:17 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>December 01, 1996 6:41 PM, jatlh De'vuch:
>
>> K:  lIHegh neH loDnI'wI'.
>> E:  My brother wants to kill you.
>
>You've got the wrong prefix on {Hegh}.  "He" wants to kill "you" (singular)
>calls for the prefix {Du-}.
>
>DuHegh neH loDnI'.
>
>Be aware that this could be misinterpreted as "My brother merely kills you."
>It's okay, though.

Well, it would be okay, if not for the fact that "Hegh" means "die."
"Kill" is "HoH":  "DuHoH neHlaw' loDnI'wI'" (note the -law' to make the
verbness of "neH" apparent.  It DOES add a little extra meaning though; be
aware of it.)

>> K:  HImISmoHchugh, vaj qaHoH.
>> E:  Don't confuse me, or I will kill you.
>
>maj.  Again, nice to see you're not chained to your English grammar when
>constructing Klingon sentences!

Um, I can't make sense of an imperative and -chugh.  "chomISmoHchugh vaj
qaHoH" works okay, but "if" on a command doesn't have a sensible
interpretation to me.

>> K:  DaH nIvnavlIj yItuQmoH.
>> E:  Put on your pajamas now.
>
>maj.

Note the mistake you DIDN'T make: since nIvnav is a collective noun (and
the plural is probably artificial in English anyway: who ever heard of one
pyjama?), yItuQmoH is right, and tItuQmoH is not called for.

>> K:  bIpIvchugh, yISuvnIS.
>> E:  If you are healthy, you must fight.
>
>maj.

Either a command or -nIS, not both: bIpIvchugh, yISuv (If you're healthy,
fight) or "bIpIvchugh bISuvnIS" (if you're healthy you must fight.)

>> K:  DaH nuHmeychaj yIqem.
>> E:  Bring me their weapons now.
>
>Almost.  It would probably do in a conversation, but for clarity's sake let me
>explain: you've said "Bring their weapons now."  You have not said anything
>about bringing them to "me."  For that, do the following:
>
>DaH jIHvaD nuHmeychaj yIqem.

tIqem.

~mark

Back to archive top level