tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 01 14:09:38 1996

RE: KLBC:jIH'Iw

December 01, 1996 7:14 AM, jatlh loDDoq:

> SuStel jatlh,
> bISung naDev.
> SoHghaj batlh.bIQagh not.
> Did I just wrote what I wanted to?
> roj je Qapla' ,

Er, no.  But let's work on that!

You need to remember that Klingon sentences work in the order
Object-Verb-Subject.  In English we say "The officer sees the child," but in
Klingon we say {puq legh yaS}.

Locative nouns (with {-Daq} or {-vo}) go before the object noun.

Adverbials go before the object, of before any locative nouns.

Timestamps (adverbial referring to time) tend to come first in a phrase.

Please include English translations of what you meant until you become more
certain of how to say things.

So:

> SuStel jatlh,

"SuStel spoke" or "SuStel says" needs to be {jatlh SuStel}.

> bISung naDev.

Are you trying to say "You are a native here"?  {Sung} is a noun.  And {naDev}
is a locative noun (a special case; it never uses {-Daq}).  I has to come
first.  To say "You are a native here," say

naDev Sung SoH.

See TKD section 6.3 to see how I did this "to be" construction.

> SoHghaj batlh.bIQagh not.

I believe you're trying to say "You have honor.  You never make a mistake."  I
wish it were true!

"You have honor" can be translated in LOTS of ways.  One of my favorites is

batlh bIvang.

You *almost* got "You never make a mistake" right.  The only problem is that
the adverbial {not} has to come first.

not bIQagh.

> roj je Qapla' ,

"Peace and success."  Not a very Klingon thing to say, but no matter!

When talking about more than one noun, you use the conjunction {je}.  You have
done this, but you have also misplaced it.  It always comes *after* the last
noun in the list.  So, "Peace and success" is

roj Qapla' je.

Note however that the *sentence* conjunctions {'ej}, {qoj}, and {pagh} come
*between* sentences.  This is different than the noun conjunctions.

qaStaHvIS jar law'qu' jabbI'IDghomvaD jIjeS.
'ach rut jIQagh.
puptaH pagh.
batlh tlhIngan Hol DaghojtaH.
maj.