tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 28 13:30:44 1996

Re: {lab} vs. {lI'}

Steven Boozer ([email protected]) writes:

[text with lost attributions]
& >> {lab} is glossed as "transmit data (away from a place)" and
& >> {lI'} is "transmit data (to a place)"; neither of them appears
& >> to mean "receive data"

& >look at their actual useage in ST3,
& >{lab} is used to describe sending a message and {lI'} is used to
& >describe receiving one. This occurs when the Genesis Project data
& >is transmitted from Valkris to Kruge.

& Not quite. If we look at the actual dialog in ST3, we see that {lab}
[more examples]
& What can we deduce? Two possibilities come to mind:
[deduction process deleted]
& {lab} and {lI'} both mean "send". Okrand was trying to distinguish
& the subject of the verb (device vs. person) and whether it could
& take an object.

I'm a newcomer, but I shall practice my Klingon virtues:

I say the evidence on which these deductions are based is mere
coincidence and that the difference between {lab} and {lI'} is
precisely that between English {immigrate} (move (to a country))
and {emigrate} (move (from a country)).  Both pairs can be used
almost interchangeably: "He emigrated to Canada" and "He immigrated
to Canada"  {De' lab yaS} and {De' lI' yaS}.  The only difference is
that one stresses that a place was left/transmitted from and the
other that a place was a destination.

1. De'vam lughaj SaD Duj 'ach De'vam vIghajbe'.  qaStaHvIS chach.
pay' De'vam vIghajnISqu'!  jIHvaD DalI'.  jabbI'IDlijmo' chotoD.

It doesn't matter where the information came from: I received it, so
I lived.

2. De' 'ut DaSov SoH neH.  De'vam ghajnIS tlhIngan wo'.  nIHoH luneH
jagh.  jIHvaD Dalab.  QIt nIHoH 'ach bIHeghneS rIntaHmo' Qu'lij.

It doesn't actually matter who received the information, as long as
you got it out there where it could be passed on to the emperor.

wovwI'

Back to archive top level