tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 22 18:26:36 1996

Re:KLBC: The Life of a Klingon

kaylar writes:
>To compose proper tlhIngan sentence I think one most think as a
>tlhIngan. As a raw beginner before i launch myself into error, i would
>like to ascertain if my concepts are correct. using the workd mon (to
>smile) tese are my assumptions as to how a tlhIngan would use them.

I can't vouch for whether a true Klingon would think this way, but I
will comment on the grammar.

>jImon - I smile, (used with charming---)
maj.  But I don't think a smile necessarily has to be ironic; it might
very well be genuine.

>jimonnIS - I need to smile, ( Ineed to hear to good news)
>jImonqang - I am willing to smile, ( if I hear good news I would smile)
>jImonrup - I am ready to smile - (I believe the news is good so am
>ready)
All fine, except I'm not sure why you link smiling to good news.

>jImonchoH - I smile now - I was unhappy but now I have changed my frown
>to a smile.
Close -- I see this more as "I start smiling."

>jImonqa' - I smile again, (I was smiling, head the report, ceased
>smiling, but the latter report return my pleasure)
maj.

>jImonmoH - I made myself smile--(I remembered a joke and caused myself
>to smile
No.  What you have said is something like "I cause [other people] to smile."
To say "I made myself smile" you have to use the unusual combination of
simultaneous verb suffixes {-'egh} and {-moH}; it would be {jImon'eghmoH}.

>jImonlaH - I can smile - ( I know something which allows me to smile)
maj.

>montaH - (he she it is always smiling---a fool)
{-taH} doesn't mean "always", it means "ongoing".  If you mean "always",
you should say {reH}.

>monbe' -- do not smile---said in anger
This is a simple statement which says "he/she/it does not smile."
"Do not smile" is a command, and should use an imperative prefix.
See TKD section 4.1.2 for an explanation of imperatives.  According
to section 4.3, imperatives can't use the suffix {-be'}; they use
{-Qo'} instead.  If you want to say "Do not smile", it's {yImonQo'}.

>jImonHa' -- I am unsmiling--usually serious.
I don't know what {monHa'} would mean, but I think it might be "frown".

>Have i gotten the understanding/

Mostly.  You're doing well.