tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 22 12:06:19 1996

Re: HolQeD 17

According to Alan Anderson:

> >HolQeD #17 (vol. 5, no. 1) was mailed out over a week ago.  Has anyone
> >received
> >his/her copy yet?  Just checking.
>
> ghobe'.  bItlhobpa' jIbeprup.

wej HolQeDwIj vIHev jIH je. cha'Hu' <tlhIngan tIgh> vIHevmo'
jIbepbe'. DaH paqvetlh vIlaDta'. vItIvqu'. I'm now cataloging
each canon use of each verb as transitive or intransitive,
since it seems to be the closest I'll ever get to having Okrand
pronounce which verbs should be used which way. This work is
big enough to make that critical mass needed to begin this
process. I'll sweep back now and do the same for all earlier
canon as well.

I note that Okrand's many complete sentences do not seem to
have any of the strange transitives I've sometimes seen here,
where people stretch what they consider to be a verb-object
relationship given the definition in the word list. He also
clearly shows that Klingon does not have a word for "then" in
the sequential sense, and the {-chugh vaj} pairing seems
optional, as in English. He also waffles between proverbs using
{-lu'} and those using second person, which seems odd, but hey,
he can do that. It's not only not against the rules, but if it
were, he could just make up new ones.

The new words are well chosen. I wish he had used the one
probably meaning "deserve" which he used in the intro to Power
Klingon, in {bIyIntaH 'e' Da-X-be'!}, but hey. It's his book,
right?

Over all, I'm impressed with the quantity and quality. Very few
typos or grammatical errors, besides one misplaced {ghap} and
the totally gibberish {ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj} and a few uppercase
"i"s where lowercase "L"s were needed and one extra "I" where
NOTHING was needed, and a couple places I would have used
{-lu'} and he just didn't, leaving strange grammar...

I would have stated one of them as:

batlh Heghlu'DI' noDnIS pagh.

And the use of {tay'taH} instead of {DuD} was a little odd...

But I digress...

> chay' Qanqor qaD janglu' 'e' vISov vIneH.

vIneH jIH je. jInIDta'. jIQap'a'? jIQap'a'?

> KLI jeSwI'pu' ngu'bogh nav'e' je vIloS.
> juHwIjDaq lengmeH HolQeD poH nI' law' EuropeDaq lengmeH Hamlet poH nI' puS.
> qatlh nI'qu'nIS poH?  jIboH.  USADaq QIt vum HIjwI'pu'.

tugh pawlaw'. loS neH.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--
reH lugh charghwI' net Sov.

Back to archive top level