tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 19 21:50:10 1996

re: Instant Coffee (several)

SuStelvo': >
kaylarvo': }

INSTANT:

> You can't use {-Ha'} in this way.  Read the section in TKD which describes
> {-Ha'}.  It states that {-Ha'} must go immediately after the verb.  It can't
> modify the verb suffixes.

jI'oy'qa'! (Floimen!)

Maybe one of these days I should stop trying to write Klingon at work and read
my dictionary instead... call this half-thread dropped. And good thing too, 'cos

COFFEE:

..is probably gonna get long.

> According to The Klingon Way, a warrior's drink is not watery.  As long as
> what you're trying to describe is not watery, then I'm sure any Klingon would
> understand you if you called it {SuvwI' qa'vIn}, "warrior's coffee."

} qa'vin'a' would be -- to my very nacent understanding of the
} language--the best and possibly the most correct--as it's connotation
} of the superlative.

I wonder if we're not running into some sort of linguistic uncertainty principle
here: for people to definitively select a word for something, they must first
agree definitively what the something in question is.

In the case of coffee, I could launch into a tyrade about manufacturing
processes all over the world and try classifying each with a different tlhIngan
Hol term or phrase. (This would probably annoy those people who don't drink
coffee, and insult those people who know something about it themselves.)

Suffice it to say that from the feedback, the whole coffee/language thing is
starting to look something like this:

coffee                       qa'vIn
espresso                     qa'vIn'a'
strong, chewy coffee         SuvwI' qa'vIn
espresso so thick you can
   stand a spoon in it       SuvwI' qa'vIn'a'

} As someone who does drink expresso--(as well as cappuchino--we grow Blue
} Mountain coffee here, the true qa'vin'a' (world's best coffee) I would
} think using the term, plus adding the connotation of essential or strong
} or even concentrated---would be correct.

Careful... I think you wanted that to sound more like:
HuD SuD qa'vIn QaQ law' Hoch qa'vIn QaQ puS.

> Either way, I don't drink coffee.

toDSaH! jupma' qa'vin! pIn'a'ma' qa'vIn! jawma' qa'vIn! jawma' yItIchbe'! >:)

>>bIQvaD tlhIngan vuvmoH qa'vIn'a'wIj.

>"My 'espresso' causes a Klingon to respect for water"?  jIyajbe'.

Okay, that didn't work. Let's try it again:

bIQ vuv tlhIngan qaSmoHlaH wa'vIn'a'wIj.

Let's see how THAT works...

-- David Wood, Freelance Computer Consultant
("Freelance" is just a cheesy way of saying "Irregularly Employed")

Back to archive top level