tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 19 07:30:44 1996

Phonology and surroundings (including copula)

Yesterday I could't fall asleep as I was thinking all the time about Klingon
phonology. And I came out to a conclusion, that there is something more
special to {-'} than what I have written before.

TKD p. 16: "Occasionally the echo is quite audible, with a guttural sound
like {gh} preceeding the echoed vowel. Fo example {yIlI'} "transmit it!"
^^^^^^^^^
can sound more like {yIlI'ghI}. This extra-heavy echo is heard most
often when the speaker is particularly excited or angry."

toH!

Wow! Don't you realise that this would be the only case of a voiceless
stop that when voiced changes also the place of articulation from
glottal into guttural?

I always supposed there is something special about {'}. Duj tIvoqtaH!

Of course this "new" {gh} is only like the old {gh} we already know.
I would prefer to write this new sound as {'gh}.

And so I come to a conclusion (a hypothesis) that maybe {rgh} is in fact
not a cluster of {r} + {gh} but a cluster of {r} + {'gh} i.e. voiced {-'}.

(The second hypothesis I take into consideration is that {rgh} is a phoneme
of its own and not a cluster at all).
As the only native speaker of Klingon is MO (reH yINjaj! 'ej reH najtaHvIS
qeylIS ghomjaj!) we must hear attentively to his pronounciation.

I shall try to do it in the beginning of May.

Now I will be out and not able to answer the mail for more than a week.
I shall read all the incoming mail (the digests of tlh.H. included)
on the 30th of April.

As the proverb says: "Sl/uz.ba nie druz.ba!"  juH oHbe' toy'ghach'e'.

        (remember - I put the Polish diacritical marks after the
        letter on which they should stand so {l/} is {l stretched} and
        {z.} is {z with a dot above} and {a,} is {a with an "ogonek",
        a kind of Polish and Lithuanian inversed "cedille"}.

This proverb doesn't contain a copula at all [not even this special
type of "copula-like" use of pronoun "to"]. This is evidently
a Russicism in Polish (the word "druz.ba" for "friendship" instead
of "przyjaz'n'" is evidently Russian or Ruthenian) - Russian
doesn't have a copula at all in present tense:
        "Ya chelovyek" = I [am] a man. (predicate "man" is in Nominative case)
but in the past and future they use a copula of "to be" with the Instrumental
case construction:
        "Ya byl chelovyekom" = I was a man.
        "Ya budu chelovyekom" = I will be a man.

(but this last remark comletely changes the subject of the posting).

Qapla'

macheq

macheq noychoH jembatoQ

lasciate ogni speranza voi qu'entrate