tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 19 08:00:57 1996

Re: Nouns as Verbs

According to Consulat General de Pologne:

[snip GOBS of stuff on Polish and Sandscrit]
> I think it's enough (maybe too much)

Yep.

> Taking TKD let me choose by hazard some  of the nouns that could function
> as verbs too:
> bep: agony - to agonize

In English, this makes sense, but it could easily mean to give
agony (I'm going to agony this jerk if he doesn't shut up) or
receive agony or witness agony or act in the manner of one in
agony (He agonies well, but I don't believe it for a minute)...

> biQ: water - to water (to water a flower = to make use water; to water a ship
>        = to make take place on water; to water a log = to function as water =
>        = a river waters logs down = lets them float with water down; all
>        three meaning attested in Polish).

This is the whole point of the difficulty of making up your own
words which you have figured out how to construct. Someone else
might have a different logic and miss your meaning entirely.
~mark often speaks of hindsight words which make perfect sense
to the person who made them, but are gibberish to anybody else.
We are pretty much stuck with Okrand's vocabulary and a few
very conservatively logical extensions. Meanwhile, without
Okrand's approval, we can't even give ourselves the perfectly
logical question word {'arlogh}. Why should we accept "water"
as a verb?

> ghoch: destination - to serve as destination

or approach a destination of (We are destinationing our
mission), or seek a destination as yet unfound (We are trying to
destination the source of that signal), or establish a
destination (Since we finished our last mission, the Captain
has had difficulty destinationing our ship), or give coordinates
to a destination (Helmsman, destination Kronos), or refer to a
place as a destination (I hereby destination Earth. Ready on
weapons)...

> yach: pet - to be a pet

{yach} already IS a verb, and it means to pet or stroke, which
is not at all "to be a pet". {Saj} is the noun. There are many
more interesting things to do with the Klingon language than to
start off trying to significantly expand the vocabulary
according to your own personal theories.

> neHmaH:  neutral zone - to function as neutral zone

or to approach the neutral zone (Captain, We are Neutral
Zoning), or to be in the neutral zone (We can't go there! It's
Neutral Zoned [neutrally zoned?]), or to establish as a neutral
zone (I'm going to Neutral Zone this planet.)

> tay: ritual - to function as a ritual(stat.) /to make as a ritual (trans.)
> veng: city - to function as a city/to use as a city/ to make use of a city only
>         (to stay all the time in a city).

We really don't need these words. numISmoHlaH neH bIH.

> Qapla'
>
> macheq

charghwI'
--