tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 15 20:39:54 1996

Re: Klingon pongmey

rmatheson writes:
>        I've had a handle for some time, "Dreamwalker".  When translating
>that into Hol, I get "najDaqyItwI'".

Since {naj} isn't a noun, I don't see this as a valid translation.  I also
have a small problem with a locative connected to a verb-wI' construction.
But, as we've often said, names don't have to be grammatically reasonable
(or even phonologically "standard").

>I know the "q" and "y" in the middle just doesn't look right.  Or does it?

I don't see anything wrong with their juxtaposition, though I can find very
few canon examples of a syllable beginning with {y} in the middle of a word:
{SermanyuQ}, {'ejyo}, {Doy'yuS}, {pIpyuS}.  If you can suppress the urge to
treat {y} as a vowel, I think it looks fine.

>In any event, does anyone
>have any input for a poor nameless warrior who's down in his Do'?

[I don't like mixed-language sentences much in the first place, and when the
grammar is as mismatched as this one is, I *intensely* don't like it.]

Why get so complicated?  {najyIt} sounds like a fine name to me.  If I had
to justify it, I'd say it means "dream" and "walk" at the same time.