tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 14 20:29:55 1996

chIyaghu

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996 [email protected] wrote:
> I was pondering the possibilities for a klingon name
> My name is Thiago.
> Anyway here are a few ideas:
> chIaghu
> chI'aghu'
> chI'aghu

My suggestion is (as in the subject line) chIyaghu.  I have made a couple
of assumptions in recommending this.  First is that the "i" in your name
is pronounced as would be the English "ee".

The second assumption is that the stressed syllable in your name is the
"a".  If you really want an apostrophe, remember that it stresses the
syllable and should be placed after the "a" in the Klingon name.  To me,
the "'" on the "u" is optional, but if you are going to put an
apostrophe anywhere else in the name I would definitely put one after
the "a" as well.

Finally, I have assumed that the "g" in the original is not real hard.  If
it is harder, you may want to consider "q" in the Klingon name instead of
"gh".

Of course, it's your name.  If you don't like my suggestion don't use
it.  My favourite idea (as evidenced by my name): pick a set of phonemes
that holds some meaning to you and spell it in tlhIngan Hol.  And my
preference is that it shouldn't obviously be your name, and it shouldn't
have an obvious meaning in tlhIngan Hol.  My other favourite example is
Seqram.  However, those are just my opinions and I have not heard many
others say the same thing.  Everyone has their own suggestion of how to
do it.  If you don't like any of the suggestions you have for your name,
I invite you to create a unique method of name creation.

janSIy

Back to archive top level