tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 12 11:40:21 1996

Re: your mail

According to [email protected]:

>  to be an extraction from {nenghep} and {nentay}, which would give
> it the meaning "Ascension."  It does appear to me also to be a Stative Verb.
>  {loD nen moj} must be "He becomes an ascended man."
>
> As for {wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH...}, I would have guessed we at KLI would
> have used {jaj wa'DIch}.

That would have required a wholly different grammar. Instead of
"One day a Klingon's child can begin to hold a sword; that day
he becomes a man," you are suggesting something like, "The first
day on which a Klingon's son begins to be able to hold a sword,
he becomes a man." Looking at this, I can see why Okrand chose
the path he took. "The first day on which..." is nontrivial.

I personally would have dropped the whole reference to "day"
and said, {'etlh 'uchchoHlaHDI' tlhIngan puqloD, loD nen
mojchoH.} Meanwhile, perhaps Okrand wished to illustrate the
use of {-vetlh} on an abstract noun like {jaj} and chose this
example to illustrate that. I can deal with Okrand's casting of
this statement.

> With the Type 4 suffix on a Time Word in this passage, is this canon so that
> we too may now use {-vetlh} and {vam} on Time Words?
>
> latlh:  DaHjaj = today
>          jajvam = this day DaH 'e' wItu'
>          nuq bIH DaHjar'e' DaHDIS'e' je
> paghna' bIH'a' pagh potlhna' bIH'a'

*Okrand* paQDI'norgh vIneHbogh law' law' *Okrand* paQDI'norgh
vIleghta'bogh law' puS.

> gharghmey chu' DIbej qar'a'
>
> peHruS

charghwI'