tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 08 06:25:19 1996

Re: iambic pentameter

According to Anais Shadowhawk:

> > Could someone please explain exactly what iambic pentameter is?..
> > SuStel
> > Hovjaj 96265.2
>

> Ooo, ooh! Something I can answer? *cheer*
>
> *ahem*
>
> Iambic pentameter is metered verse. That's the easy part. Iambic means that
> it's stressed-unstressed in pattern. I.e. the first syllable is stressed,
> the next unstressed, etc. Pentameter means that there are ten 'feet',
> or beats, or syllables to the line.

SARAH! You KNOW the answer to this and your example follows it,
but your description misses the mark. The SECOND syllable is
stressed, as per your example, and PENTameter means there are
FIVE feet, each consisting of two syllables.

> Of course, there are all sorts of rules for feminine endings, that give
> us eleven syllable lines, and whatnot. As a general rule, however, iambic
> pentameter is a smooth, lyrical type of speaking, making it all the more
> apparent just when and why it's broken. It is (was) also used to demonstrate
> pronunciations, dramatic pauses, and such. It's a stage direction as much
> as a form of speaking.
>
> Have I said too much yet?
>
> An example, in case anyone's still confused..
>
>  u   /     u     /      u     /  u   /  u    /
> But soft! what light through yonder window breaks

Note. Second syllable stressed. First syllable unstressed.

> This has been a public service announcement from your friendly
> Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project Co-Ordinator!
>
> A. Sarah Ekstrom

charghwI'
--

 \___