tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 06 13:18:54 1996

Re: iambic pentameter

> Could someone please explain exactly what iambic pentameter is?  I tried
> looking it up in the dictionary, but that only led to a maze of other
> definitions I had to look up.  I've known this phrase for years, but I have
> yet to find out precicely what it means!  I understand only that it has to do
> with whether syllables are long or short, and how they're arranged.
>
> SuStel
> Hovjaj 96265.2

Ooo, ooh! Something I can answer? *cheer*

*ahem*

Iambic pentameter is metered verse. That's the easy part. Iambic means that
it's stressed-unstressed in pattern. I.e. the first syllable is stressed,
the next unstressed, etc. Pentameter means that there are ten 'feet',
or beats, or syllables to the line.

Of course, there are all sorts of rules for feminine endings, that give
us eleven syllable lines, and whatnot. As a general rule, however, iambic
pentameter is a smooth, lyrical type of speaking, making it all the more
apparent just when and why it's broken. It is (was) also used to demonstrate
pronunciations, dramatic pauses, and such. It's a stage direction as much
as a form of speaking.

Have I said too much yet?

An example, in case anyone's still confused..

 u   /     u     /      u     /  u   /  u    /
But soft! what light through yonder window breaks

Get it? Got it? Good. :)

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly
Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project Co-Ordinator!

A. Sarah Ekstrom

Back to archive top level