tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 05 07:21:25 1996

Re: the casual use of {nuqneH}

According to [email protected]:

> In a message dated 96-04-02 12:10:27 EST, ghunchu'wI' writes:
>
> >{cholegh vIneH} "I want you to see me."  Note: {neH} is the only verb that
> >doesn't use {'e'} as its object in a construction like this (TKD 6.2.5).
> >{HuchlIj vIneH} "I want your money."
> >
> >-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj
>
> Other verbs of speech, particularly jatlh, jang, and tlhob can be used
> similarly, i.e. without {'e'}.  Thus, {cholegh vIjatlh} means "I say [that]
> you see me."  (same ref).

Close, but one reading this might think Klingon allows indirect
quotation. It doesn't. Your sentence would have to be
translated as:

I said, "You see me."

(or some other tense mix, like "I said, 'You saw me.'")

This primarily makes a difference when you have something like,
"I told Krankor that I saw him," Which needs to be restated as,
"I told Krankor, 'I saw you.'"

Wrong: QanqorvaD <<vIlegh>> vIjatlh.

Right: QanqorvaD <<qalegh>> vIjatlh.

Or, to make it simpler, someone asks:

QanqorvaD nuq Dajatlh?

And I answer:

qalegh vIjatlh.

In that, I'm not saying that I saw the person to whom I am now
speaking. I'm saying that I saw Krankor.

> peHruS

charghwI'
--

 \___