tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 02 08:27:02 1996

Re: Klingon CD-ROM!

According to Matt Gomes:

> SajatlhneS:
>
>   I'm currently attending the Computer Game Developers Conference here
>   and I had a chance to stop by the booth of Duck Software...
>
>   The only real big disappointment was that, as I was looking at the
>   screens, the pIqaD was wrong.  I asked if they decided to do that
>   for "artistic" things and the lady (Cheryl) said that she didn't
>   KNOW that the pIqaD had sounds associated with the characters and
>   that she wished she knew!
>
>   How did we let THAT slip though?

It didn't "slip through". It was intentional. Paramount owns
all this stuff and the guy who did all the pIqaD in all the
movies and TV is very stubborn about not allowing there to be
any assignment of pIqaD characters to actual characters. He
greeks everything on every set. He considers this to be his
artistic license and Paramount supports this egocentric
position.

My own take on this is that the man IS an artist of merit who
is extremely busy and enough of a control freak that he does
not want to hand off the lettering of any part of any set to
anyone else. So long as he can greek all the lettering, he can
be a slacker in the area of learning Klingon and he can
maintain control over the look of everything without having to
hand off to anyone who DOES know Klingon to do the lettering.

There are no Paramount sanctioned examples of pIqaD actually
spelling anything. They licensed the pIqaD lettering to
BitStream and only gave them about 10 characters with no
logical assignment. The pIqaD on all the trading cards is
greeked with no relationship to the actual text. All the sets
are greeked.

The only alphabetic assignment of pIqaD characters that I know
is Lawrence's font, which is based upon an UNofficial
assignment put together by some fans. KLI sponsored projects
use this font, so the title page of Hamlet has pIqaD which can
be read, just like HolQeD's title can be read and some issues
contain poems which can be read. My personal Annotated Klingon
Dictionary which I made up for my own personal use has every
word written in pIqaD next to the romanized spelling of the
word. These are all personal choices of individuals doing
unofficial things which Paramount allows, but will never
condone or publish. I suspect that if they ever do a paperback
edition of Hamlet, they will probably greek the title page,
just because they can, and it will make Okuda happy.

>   It was interesting... she said that, after this project, everyone in
>   the office was speaking Klingon.  She was actually pretty good herself!

What a fantasy. A workplace where you can speak Klingon...

> -majIQ

chaq qep'a' wejDIchDaq maghomqa'.

charghwI'
--