tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 01 20:38:43 1996

Re:KLBC Indians (Re: toughie)

Daniel writes:
>First natives, that may be fine in US, but the first natives in my country
>are Dutch.

Certainly; the term I actually had in mind was "aborigines", without an
emphasis on a specific place.

>You could say "Sungmey poS Hatlh wa'DIch"="First (as seen on a
>map) left country natives". The left country revering to the left continent,
>America. I'm not 100% sure about the possition of "poS", "Hatlh" and
>"wa'DIch" in reverence to each other, and I think -lu' should be in there,
>but I'm not sure.

The word order would be {poS Hatlh Sungmey wa'DIch}, no {-lu'} involved.
But I'm *very* uncomfortable with using "left" and "right" in this way
because it requires everybody to use the same map in order to understand
the meaning.  Why not just name the location?  The people called "Indians"
are {"America" Sungmey wa'DIch}.  The people referred to as "aborigines"
are {"Australia" Sungmey wa'DIch}.