tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 01 13:36:10 1996

Re: pongwIj DavID nuqneH

>Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 08:17:19 -0800
>From: "David W. Schaefer" <[email protected]>

>pongwIj DavID nuqneH
>(Hey, there, my name's David)

Check section 6.3 for how to do "is" properly... :)

>I have a quick question that's been gnawing at me since I started lurking
>amongst you guys.  Do you know this so well that you can just kind of come up
>with thlingan Hol off the top of your heads, or do you consult TKD?

I suppose I should answer this as far as it goes for me...  Yes, I can
speak Klingon well enough that I can do it off the top of my head, with no
dictionary.  However, I often DO need to refer to the dictionary, since
while I know enough words for most purposes, I certainly don't know them
all.  Still, I often surprise myself by remembering an obscure word that I
need.  I don't need to refer to TKD for grammar much, though; I have that
pretty much down.  Occasionally I need to double-check the ordering of some
suffixes, and VERY rarely look up a prefix (I think I know them all by now,
but sometimes one sneaks away and eludes me).  Even when I can't remember a
word, I can often remember that there is a word for something, even if I
have to look it up.  Generally, I can converse sans dictionary.  I only
refer to it if there's a word that comes up that I don't know, and that's
not every sentence, nor even every conversation.  So it's possible!

>Also:  I have a good friend who used to teach Japanese and one of the things he
>told me is one the most important things with learning a new language is to
>*use* it -- both writing (which this forum is a great outlet for) and
>*speaking*.  But let's face it, finding someone who speaks Klingon is a stretch.
>What do most folks do?  I studied this language about a year and a half ago and
>was doing fairly well, but I didn't have an outlet in which to verbally use
>tlhIngan Hol, so it eventually fell to wayside -- not because I grew bored, but
>because I had a tough time retaining it without being able to use it.
>This is a great language and a hell of a lot of fun.  I want to be able to stick
>with it this time, and I need as much advice as possible in this area.

Talking HELPS.  A lot.  Like mounds.  Ask anyone who's been to a qep'a'.
Which is what you should do: come to the conference and meet people and
TALK.  Other options are to practice here, or better still on the MUSH.
Real-time typed conversation has many of the advantages of spoken
conversation.  Try phoning people; ask for phone-pals on the list...

>Dave S.

~mark

Back to archive top level