tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 27 10:22:19 1995

Re: }} ST Communicator vItu'laHbe'!

> >in this context I'd like to know, why people often
> >(at least to me it seems to happen quite often)
> >insert those extra ' into transliterated words.
>
> It's a matter of trying to conform to the C-V-C rule
> for syllables in Klingon words.

but C-V syllables are as correct as C-V-C syllables

> I disagree with you here.  The British "rolled r" is
> done with the front of the tongue, and the Klingon
> "gargled gh" is done with the back.

however, the british "not rolled" r is, I think,
a voiced retroflex approximant, which is very
different from the "scottish" r. {gh} is a voiced
velar fricative, right? If so, I still think it
gives a better representation of english r than {r}

> I kind of like your idea of dropping the "r" in names
> like Do(r)n and Robe(r)t; it seems marginally better
> than inserting a syllable to get Dor[i]n and Rober[i]t
> (or Dorn[eh] and Robert[eh] like charghwI' prefers).
> I think dropping the "l" in Walsh would work the same.

yes, I agree

> >>         raqSan bIQ-DawSon = Roxann Biggs-Dawson
> >ghaqSen bIqeS-DoSen (or is it pronounced as if it were
> >Roxunn Biggs-Dowsone?)
> >>         mayqel 'anSa'ra = Michael Ansara
> >mayqel 'enSaghe
> >>         jan kalI'qoS = John Colicos
> >jan qalIqeS
> >>         barbara' ma'rIch = Barbara March
> >babeghe mach (no r pronounced)
> >>         ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS = Gwynyth Walsh
> >quwInet woleS (I think klingon t is closer to
> >english th than klingon tlh, but I won't argue about that)
>
> You have an interesting perspective on pronunciation.
> Are we perhaps seeing Klingon with a German accent? :-)

maybe :-)

> I don't agree with replacing {r} with {gh} at all.
see above - maybe I have the wrong impression of british r

> In many places, you've changed the vowel to {e}, and
> I don't know why.  I think the magazine's choices of
I think {e} is a closer representation of schwa than I
and to most germans short english <a> sounds more like
an open [E] than like [a] because we don't have a sound
in between the two. I guessed that the same would go
for Klingons ({a} is to me as in "father", never as in
"as" or "at" or "cat"). Thus I turned all of these into
{e}. I'm not that sure about welsh "y" (wether it should
be pronounced /i/ or /@/ in Gwyn_y_th). Remains (I think)
Dawson. I really speak {DawSon} as Dow sone (same vowels
as in Dow Jones :)

> vowels is appropriate, with the possible exception of
> the second {a} in {barbara'}.  I think it sounds a
> little better as {barbera'}.

do you speak the last a as in father?
I pronunce this roughly as [ba:(r)br@]
(where (r) denotes rhotization)

			Marc "Dochlangan"

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany