tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 27 09:25:12 1995

Re: }} ST Communicator vItu'laHbe'!

Marc Ruehlaender <[email protected]> writes:
>in this context I'd like to know, why people often
>(at least to me it seems to happen quite often)
>insert those extra ' into transliterated words.

It's a matter of trying to conform to the C-V-C rule
for syllables in Klingon words.

>also, I think, british /r/ is nowhere near a klingon
>r but rather a klingon gh, what do you think?

I disagree with you here.  The British "rolled r" is
done with the front of the tongue, and the Klingon
"gargled gh" is done with the back.

>I'd like to know what you think of how I had
>transliterated the following names..

I kind of like your idea of dropping the "r" in names
like Do(r)n and Robe(r)t; it seems marginally better
than inserting a syllable to get Dor[i]n and Rober[i]t
(or Dorn[eh] and Robert[eh] like charghwI' prefers).
I think dropping the "l" in Walsh would work the same.

>>         raqSan bIQ-DawSon = Roxann Biggs-Dawson
>ghaqSen bIqeS-DoSen (or is it pronounced as if it were
>Roxunn Biggs-Dowsone?)
>>         mayqel 'anSa'ra = Michael Ansara
>mayqel 'enSaghe
>>         jan kalI'qoS = John Colicos
>jan qalIqeS
>>         barbara' ma'rIch = Barbara March
>babeghe mach (no r pronounced)
>>         ghuwI'nItlh wa'lIS = Gwynyth Walsh
>quwInet woleS (I think klingon t is closer to
>english th than klingon tlh, but I won't argue about that)

You have an interesting perspective on pronunciation.
Are we perhaps seeing Klingon with a German accent? :-)

I don't agree with replacing {r} with {gh} at all.
In many places, you've changed the vowel to {e}, and
I don't know why.  I think the magazine's choices of
vowels is appropriate, with the possible exception of
the second {a} in {barbara'}.  I think it sounds a
little better as {barbera'}.

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level