tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 27 10:21:20 1995

Re: }} "Finally!"

>From: David Barron <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:41:47 -0700 (MST)

>I have always lemented the lack of a Klingon expression for "Finally!"

>How does <jIloSqu'pu' jay'> work to fill the void?

I for some reason expect something with "pItlh", actually.  I suppose, like
everything, it depends what you're trying to say.  You can't just ask for a
word in isolation, you know that (there's no one Welsh word for "yes", for
example).  If I've been hacking a program (or a Hamlet translation) for a
day and a half and finally got it done, I might say "Finally!" in
English... but in Klingon I'd say "pItlh!"  But that might not be
appropriate if I've been waiting for an hour for the waiter to bring me my
stuffed tobaj legs.

Don't ask for words; think of the situation.  And notice when there's more
than one.

~mark

Back to archive top level