tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 22 08:32:19 1995

Re: }} DIGEST V1 #60

According to Matt 'I am man, hear me watch Seinfeld' Treyvaud:

> Y'ello
>
> Here's a problem: how do you translate 'Nothing vanishes without a
> trace'? At first I thought 'Nothing which vanishes cannot be tracked
> down', but this requires both type 5 verb suffixes (-laH and -lu', if
> memory serves) and is thus naughty. There doesn't seem to be a
> word for 'trace', as in a noun... so, any suggestions?
>
>     C /\ T
>    F /()\ C   voghDaq loSlI' teHwI'
>   C /____\
>     GANTA

qatlho'qu'! I LOVE stuff like this. Back out of the English and
get to the root thought, then use the best Klingon tools to
express the root thought:

Hmmm. This is a better challenge than I first thought... Okay:

ngablaw'bogh vay' tu'laH ghochwI' QaQ.

A good tracker can find anything which apparently vanishes.

Another, perhaps simpler angle:

ngabchu'laH pagh.

Nothing can perfectly vanish.

This second one is probably closer to the original idea.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \