tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 20 09:41:32 1995

Re: }} 'Smoking', in defense of my sig, and {QaQ}

[email protected] writes:
> ... I would allow using <tlhIch> as a verb ...

Let's assume you're justified in allowing this.  What then would the
verb {tlhIch} mean?  The common pattern seems to be that the noun of
one of these dual-role words is somehow a result of the verb.

ghItlhlu'chugh ghItlh tu'lu'.  Sovlu'chugh Sov tu'lu'.
tlhuchlu'chugh tlhuch tu'lu'.  pIchlu'chugh pIch tu'lu'.

tlhIchlu'chugh tlhIch tu'lu''a'?

I think {tlhIch} as a verb would mean "generate smoke".  A damp pile
of burning leaves would do this.  An incense stick would do this too.
I think it would imply that the subject is on fire.  A cigarette
itself might {tlhIch}, but a person smoking a cigarette would not.

Of course, you AREN'T justified in trying to use {tlhIch} as a verb,
so this argument is pointless.

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level