tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 20 09:16:00 1995

Re: }} Re: your mail

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> >> qatlh <nuqDaq 'oH Qe''e' QaQ> wIghItlhbe'
> >> qatlh mu' <QaQ>Daq DIp mojaQ <-'e'> wIlan 'ach <Qe'>Daq wIlanbe'
> >
> >Please read the paragraph in TKD on page 50 and note that
> >{-'e'} is a Type 5 noun suffix.
> >
> >> peHruS
> >
> >charghwI'
>
> This is my argument precisely.  In that {-'e'} is a Type 5 ~NOUN~ suffix, I
> argue for applying it to the noun <Qe'> rather than to the phrase <Qe' QaQ>.
>  I am claiming that the sentence in TKD p170 was too hastily written.  It
> should read:  nuqDaq 'oH Qe''e' QaQ.

Did you read the paragraph?  Doesn't sound like it.  I don't have my TKD
handy, but I remember going through the same cognitive dissonance you
apparently are, at the idea of putting a noun suffix on a verb.  But
charghwI' is right, the sentence in TKD is right, and your revision is wrong.
Stop focusing on TKD p.170 and read p.50, as charghwI' suggests.  Then it
will all be clear.

> peHruS

-Holtej

Back to archive top level