tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 20 16:30:33 1995

Re: }} Re: your mail

According to [email protected]:

> >> qatlh <nuqDaq 'oH Qe''e' QaQ> wIghItlhbe'
> >> qatlh mu' <QaQ>Daq DIp mojaQ <-'e'> wIlan 'ach <Qe'>Daq wIlanbe'
> >
> >Please read the paragraph in TKD on page 50 and note that
> >{-'e'} is a Type 5 noun suffix.
> >
> >> peHruS
> >
> >charghwI'
>
> This is my argument precisely.  In that {-'e'} is a Type 5 ~NOUN~ suffix, I
> argue for applying it to the noun <Qe'> rather than to the phrase <Qe' QaQ>.
>  I am claiming that the sentence in TKD p170 was too hastily written.  It
> should read:  nuqDaq 'oH Qe''e' QaQ.

Okay. Stop. Take a deep breath. In your new calm, please
actually do what I recommended. Open your TKD to page 50 and
actually READ the paragraph. There, it will explain to you that
when a verb acting adjectivally (like QaQ in this sentence)
follows a noun which would otherwise have a Type 5 suffix added
to it, the Type 5 NOUN suffix must be applied to the adjectival
VERB and not the noun. The sentence on page 170 was not a
mistake. It perfectly follows the rule described on page 50.

> peHruS

charghwI'
--

 \___