tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 15 22:40:57 1995

Re: }} 'Smoking', in defense of my sig, and {QaQ}

On Sat, 16 Sep 1995, Matt 'I am man, hear me watch Seinfeld' Treyvaud wrote:

> Now something different: how to convey the idea of 'smoking' (a
> cigarette) in Klingon. OK, the question is probably academic (Klingons
> don't have cigarettes, right?) but I need to know. What I have is:
>
> {tlhIch vItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing smoke.
>
> Which I don't like because it assumes {tlhuH} can take an object. I was
> thinking that something like this might work:

I don't see anything wrong with using an object with {tlhuH}.  The word
"breathe" in English is transitive and I suspect {tlhuH} is too.

> {tlhIchDaq jItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing, in/at the smoke.

I like this less.  It sounds like you are standing in a cloud of smoke.

> Oh yeah, before I forget, re: the verb {QaQ} - does 'good' in this sense
> mean 'not naughty' or 'skilled/proficient/etc.'?

I doubt that {QaQ} has as many meanings as the word "good" does in English.
The canon examples I can think of off the top of my head would seem to
indicate {QaQ} means something like "having suitable or favorable quality".

nuqDaq 'oH Qe' QaQ'e'?  (Where is a good restaurant?)
bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.  ("Revenge is a dish which is best
served cold."  Literally:  When cold revenge is served, the dish is always
very good.)

For the sake of clarity I would use other words to convey some of the
other meanings of "good":

For "good" meaning the opposite of evil or wicked, I would use {mIghbe'} or
{mIghHa'}.

For "good" in the sense "obedient, well-behaved" (He was a good boy in
school today), I would make a sentence using {lob} (to obey).  E.g. {DaHjaj
DuSaQDaq ghojmoHwI' lob.}  (Today in school, he obeyed the teacher.)

For "good" as in "skilled/proficient" I would use {po'} (to be skilled,
expert).  Qel po' ghaH.  (She is a good doctor.)

>  Now that I think of it, this sort of 'meaning' or 'verb transitivity'
> question must get asked a lot... is there an FAQ or something for the
> unclear parts of the dictionary?

Unfortunately, because the words in TKD are not precisely defined, this has
been an ongoing problem and the subject of much debate.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level