tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 16 00:12:49 1995

Re: }} 'Smoking', in defense of my sig, and {QaQ}

Matt Treyvaud writes:
>{tlhIch vItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing smoke.
>Which I don't like because it assumes {tlhuH} can take an object.

I like it, myself.  I think it's reasonable to consider that
{tlhuH} can be transitive.

>I was thinking that something like this might work:
>{tlhIchDaq jItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing, in/at the smoke.

Not good.  {-Daq} indicates WHERE the ACTION is taking place.
It sounds like you're standing by a damp pile of burning leaves,
or maybe in a bar or a bowling alley. :-)

>Oh yeah, before I forget, re: the verb {QaQ} - does 'good' in this sense
>mean 'not naughty' or 'skilled/proficient/etc.'?

I've always thought of {QaQ} and {qab} as opposites, but I've
never really pinned down exactly which "good/bad" they mean.
It's probably whatever makes sense in context.

> Now that I think of it, this sort of 'meaning' or 'verb transitivity'
>question must get asked a lot... is there an FAQ or something for the
>unclear parts of the dictionary?

The transitivity issue gets asked constantly.  It never gets
answered.  "Meaning" tends to work itself out -- if others can
understand what you wrote, the meaning is okay; if not, you'll
have to rephrase it to fit those others' interpretations of the
meanings.  There's no FAQ for these issues; the only source of
information is Marc Okrand, in the form of TKD, CK, PK, some
occasional word lists and interviews in HolQeD, and the Skybox
cards.  (Oh yes, there's also this thing called Star Trek.  If
it's on the movie or TV screen, it's canon and we have to deal
with it.)

>    C /\ T
>   F /()\ C  yInmeyraj boSIQjaj
>  C /____\
>    GANTA
>
>(better? Now there's no chance of people thinking I'm trying to
>transliterate wordplay... now it's more like what I wanted it to be - an
>unfunny signoff from a Klingon viewpoint (I hate {Qapla'} :))

So say nothing at all.  That's appropriate from a Klingon viewpoint.