tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 15 14:50:55 1995

Re: }} 'Smoking', in defense of my sig, and {QaQ}

According to Matt 'I am man, hear me watch Seinfeld' Treyvaud:

> Y'ello
>
> Now something different: how to convey the idea of 'smoking' (a
> cigarette) in Klingon. OK, the question is probably academic (Klingons
> don't have cigarettes, right?) but I need to know. What I have is:
>
> {tlhIch vItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing smoke.

chIch taghDu'wIj vIlammoHtaH.

> Which I don't like because it assumes {tlhuH} can take an object. I was
> thinking that something like this might work:
>
> {tlhIchDaq jItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing, in/at the smoke.

pe'vIl taghDu'wIjDaq tlhIch vIyuvHa'taH. [cough, cough]

> Oh yeah, before I forget, re: the verb {QaQ} - does 'good' in this sense
> mean 'not naughty' or 'skilled/proficient/etc.'?

Probably both. Context would dictate.

>  Now that I think of it, this sort of 'meaning' or 'verb transitivity'
> question must get asked a lot... is there an FAQ or something for the
> unclear parts of the dictionary?

jISovbe'.

charghwI'
--