tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 15 10:22:41 1995

}} 'Smoking', in defense of my sig, and {QaQ}

Y'ello

The .sig text isn't supposed to be play on words... just a coincidence
that the two words sound similar in English.

Now something different: how to convey the idea of 'smoking' (a
cigarette) in Klingon. OK, the question is probably academic (Klingons
don't have cigarettes, right?) but I need to know. What I have is:

{tlhIch vItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing smoke.

Which I don't like because it assumes {tlhuH} can take an object. I was
thinking that something like this might work:

{tlhIchDaq jItlhuHtaH} = I am breathing, in/at the smoke.

Oh yeah, before I forget, re: the verb {QaQ} - does 'good' in this sense
mean 'not naughty' or 'skilled/proficient/etc.'?
 Now that I think of it, this sort of 'meaning' or 'verb transitivity'
question must get asked a lot... is there an FAQ or something for the
unclear parts of the dictionary?

    C /\ T
   F /()\ C  yInmeyraj boSIQjaj
  C /____\
    GANTA

(better? Now there's no chance of people thinking I'm trying to
transliterate wordplay... now it's more like what I wanted it to be - an
unfunny signoff from a Klingon viewpoint (I hate {Qapla'} :))

Back to archive top level