tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 03 17:08:28 1995

Re: }} 3 questions.

 At 06:16 PM 9/3/95 +1000, Matt 'I am man, hear me watch Seinfeld' Treyvaud
wrote:
>Y'ello,
>
>1) How do I convey 'thinking about'? The verb {Qub} is defined as
>'think'; is 'about' implicit in this? I am aware of {buS} but that seems
>a little too strong for some uses.

I recommend {qel} "consider" . As in {jIQubtaHvIS juHwIj jIqel}
"While I was thinking I was considering my home."

>2) Is it correct to say 'nuqneH' when you are initiating the
>conversation? (if it roughly means 'what do you want', how can you go up
>to someone and start talking by asking what they want?)

Okrand created {nuqneH} to appease the people who kept asking how
to say "Hello"   in tlhIngan Hol.  In fact, when Klingons meet they (Ussually)
just start talking about why they are standing in front of one another.
If one of them doesnt has no idea why the oother is standing in front of
him staring he will say {nuqneH} "What do you want?'

>3) Is it possible to use nouns other than Qapla' at the end of letters
>(or whatever)? Can you use any noun you like? (At the risk of social
>humiliation if you wish someone a visual display :) Especially honour: is
>it an insult to wish someone honour, implying that they cannot earn it
>for themselves?

In typical Klingon form when done with a coonversation a Klingon  (according
too Okrand) will get up an leave. No "Later, Bro"  , "bye  bye"  nothing.
However, The Producers of ST/TNG have sort of made {Qapla'}  a parting
hail.  It  has caught on.  I, persanally like  {DaH rIn jabbI'IDvam}. It keeps
to the nature oof  Klingons.

>Qapla'
>
>Matt

david

   David Barron  [email protected]  OR   [email protected]
        Klingon Language Postal Course,   PO Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
              It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.
                        Not available by E-mail, so dont ask.

Back to archive top level