tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 01 17:03:59 1995

Re: }} tlh

> Greetings from a relative newcomer to this list!
>
> Appropos of nothing, I have a quick question about tlhIngan Hol phonology,
> in particular the sound "tlh".  I understand Okrand's descriptions of
> all the other sounds, but this one gives me trouble.

In an interview on National Public Radio Okrand called the "tlh"
"an apical bilateral fricative". That ment to me that the one says a "t"
and then lets the air (this is the bilateral part) pass arround the sides
of the tongue, in a sence, whispering an "l". If you say it with enough
Klingon force you'll notice the sides of your cheeks puff out.

That is how I teach the tlh sound.

Hope it helps,
Hope it matters.

david

--
 David Barron                    ||           lup Hoch yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course  ||           qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level