tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 01 16:30:00 1995

}} tlh

Greetings from a relative newcomer to this list!

Appropos of nothing, I have a quick question about tlhIngan Hol phonology,
in particular the sound "tlh".  I understand Okrand's descriptions of
all the other sounds, but this one gives me trouble.

So to all you tlhIngan phonologists out there, answer me this:  Is
"tlh" an unvoiced lateral fricative, like the "ll" of Welsh or the "hl"
of Zulu?  Or is it an unvoiced alveo-lateral affricate, as the spelling
would suggest?  I can produce both these sounds, but I'm stumped as
to which one to use.

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

Back to archive top level