tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 01 15:57:14 1995

Re[4]: }} jIjot 'ej jIQuch

On Fri, 1 Sep 1995 charghwI' wrote:

>> (Please realize that I'm playing Devil's advocate here.)

IOW I understand that <Hot> is for physical touching, I'm just throwing in other
ideas.

>> "To touch the sky."
>
>Just exactly what is this supposed to mean in English? I can't
>translate that which I do not understand.

Okay.  (Well at least it's better than what I had originally had,"to touch the
face of god.")  When you were a kid did you ever try to reach up and touch the
sky?  It's used more as a euphemism these days.  People took up flying so they
could "touch the sky".  I wish I could think of a source.  (I vaguely remember
that the poem Reagan read after the Challenger tragedy, said something along
those lines.)  And yes I know that no self respecting Klingon would use a
euphemism.

>> If the object is intangible then why not use <Hot>?

>Well, since the term tangibility refers to the potential of
>being touched, I can see how the verb meaning to touch could be
>considered inappropriate if tangibility is not present. Just
>because English allows this perversion doesn't mean Klingon
>should be similarly corrupted.

Perversion, hunh?:-)

>> If not, Troi is going to have one heck of a hard time visiting Worf's family.
>
>One never suggested that this would not be the case.

"And the 10,000 credit winner on the Universe's Funniest Home Videos is...
'Betazoid on Kronos'!"

r'Hul

Back to archive top level