tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 31 01:31:24 1995

Re: Suppletion

[Quoting MR PAUL J COFFEY]

> Jarno Peschier wrote:
> >What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.
>      Cute!  I liked it.  But the Modern English verb "to be" is the result
> of suppletion. "is" and "was" come from different verbs.  One might say
> "was" never was "is." {G}

How was I supposed to know that (English not being my natural language
and not being an (English language) linguist)? I just translated this
litterally from Dutch: "Wat was was voor was was was? Voor was was
was, was was is."   ;-)

>      Is there any evidence for suppletion in tlhIngan?

What's suppletion exactly anyway (as I said, even though I kind of
like languages a lot, I'm no linguist)...?

--
          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet

Back to archive top level